Feng Shui Can Help Sell Your House
Sometimes I look back on my years of traveling and all I can remember are the months I spent preparing to move, and then the unpacking set-up. Every time we finally got settled, either our lease ended and we had to find a new house, or our assignment ended and we were on our way to a different country! I’m so grateful for our overseas experiences, and have no intention of taking away from the joy that comes from being immersed in fascinating, international cultures, but no matter how you slice it, moving is exhausting!!!
My ex-husband and I owned and sold seven different properties while we were married, and rented nine properties in the 17 years that we lived abroad. I can rant for hours about the stress associated with moving – but having to sell before you move?? That’s a different can of beans.
So here we are – it’s moving season and buyers are on the prowl for their next happy home! I figured there was no time like the present to share some basic Feng Shui tips to help you get that house sold so that you, too, can move onto your next chapter.
Let’s get started.
1) Don’t forget the basics. Feng Shui is not used to seduce buyers into acting against their best interests. Even with Feng Shui cures, you still need to list your home at a reasonable price, find the right real estate agent and decide on the right marketing strategy for your home. The main idea behind Feng Shui is to create the energy within your space that will attract buyers, or by making a great first impression, and we do this by maximizing the best energy of the house.
2) The two most important locations to make an impression are the curb and the first moment that your potential buyers walk in the front door. Make sure there is ZERO clutter both outside and inside. The lawn should be mowed, your home should look freshly painted, and something beautiful, welcoming and uplifting should greet visitors the second they walk through the door. Whether you hang a beautiful painting in your foyer or plant fresh flowers along your walkway, decorate in a way that makes you feel good about being home. Your potential buyers will pick up on this energy and associate it with living there. (Email me if you need tips specific to your home.)
2) Use sound! Activating your entrance with sound (especially clear, bell-like tones) promotes awakening and alerting energy. When you put your home up for sale, hang a beautiful sounding chime near your front door. It will awaken and draw chi towards the entrance of your home and energetically attract people (or potential buyers) while making them feel welcome.
When hanging your chimes (or whatever you decide to use), visualize your home selling rapidly, easily and at the right price. Remember to “feel” your visualization as if it were actually happening. Picture your buyer signing the paperwork, feel the excitement and the relief running through your body. Visualizations that are palpable will attract brilliant energy so that your visualization can become reality.
3) Make your entrance visible and accessible! If your entrance is not clearly visible or is blocked by shrubbery and/or clutter, you will have a similar blockage when selling your house. The entrance is arguably the most important part of your home. Adding light to shadowed entrances will energetically activate the entrance in the same way a moth is drawn to a flame. Similarly, removing any obstacles will allow for energy to freely flow to the entrance of your door. Keeping your entry well lit and free from obstacles opens you up to attracting and receiving opportunities to sell.
4) Fountains attract income, contacts and opportunities when placed in the right place. Therefore, why not use fountains to attract enthusiastic buyers? I’d recommend finding tasteful spots to place a fountain in these key locations:
- Outside the front door
- Inside the front door
- In the helpful people (NW) and wealth areas (SE) of your home and/or property. (Email me if you need help deciphering where that is in your home.)
As always, visualize what you want the fountain to attract when implementing the cure. Visualizing (as consistently as possible) is a vital step when employing Feng Shui methods.
5) Clean like your sale depends on it!! In my previous blog, “Spring Clean the Chi,” I spoke about the importance of having a clutter free home. That is particularly important here! Make sure your home is clutter free, organized and cleaner than it’s ever been. No one wants to move into another person’s mess and YOU don’t want to be held back by the stagnant energy that clutter creates.
6) Start moving now! You may not have a place to move to, but organize your energy so that it’s already moving forward. Whether that means packing some boxes, setting a target move-out date and marking it in your calendar as “move-out day,” when you move forward, your energy will follow suit.
7) Put on a happy face. Trust me, I know it’s stressful, but half the battle is how we look at things. Remind yourself that it’s all going to work out just fine, and that beginning a new chapter is all part of the excitement.
For any questions or specific concerns, please email me:
-Germaine Parra Avila