Five Tips for How to Be More Sociable
Being outgoing and sociable does not come naturally to everyone. There are many people who find it uncomfortable and difficult to mingle and interact with other people, especially in social gatherings. It is usually due to shyness, insecurity about being themselves, or nervousness in front of other people.
Fortunately, however, being sociable is a skill that can be learned. Here are a five tips and approaches to help you improve your socializing skills:
- Improve your self-esteem. If you want to be more sociable, you need to overcome obstacles like insecurity and low self-confidence. Focus on the best parts of yourself and do not dwell on the negatives. Accept that everyone has shortcomings and don’t get caught up in your own.
- Be less judgmental. Don’t endlessly criticize yourself and those around you. Likewise, don’t be paranoid about being judged by others either. Accept that everybody has both positive and negative qualities and slowly train yourself to silence judgmental thoughts.
- Be a good conversationalist. If someone is trying to chat with you, put forth effort to engage them and give them something back in return. If you have just been introduced to someone, start a conversation rather than letting things end at the introduction. Asking people their name and what they do for a living is a great, easy way to start a conversation.
- Show welcoming body language. Make sure your body language says you want to be approached. Look happy and willing to talk to other people. Avoid frowning or standing in the corner, as these gestures imply that you want to be left alone.
- Join a social group. It’s helpful to join clubs, classes, and programs that interest you because they will put you in touch with people who share your interest. When you have more in common, there is more to talk about and you are more likely to hit it off and become friends.
Becoming more sociable doesn’t happen overnight; however, there are many ways to learn how to gradually become more outgoing. Start implementing the tips mentioned above, and you will begin to be able to mingle and interact with other people more effortlessly.
-M. Germaine Parra
D.C. Area Realtor, Feng Shui Consultant
Licensed in DC, MD and VA
Long and Foster Realtors
6862 Elm Street Office, McLean, VA 22101