Healthy Foods for the Brain
Your brain works every second of every day, and it requires a large amount of energy and nourishment to be able to function well. There are many different foods that can supply the nutrients needed to increase your brain power. By eating the right foods, you can improve your memory, sharpen your reflexes, strengthen your attention span, and protect yourself against mental illness. That is why it is important to know which types of foods carry the most nutrients.
Here is a list of foods that you should incorporate into your diet in order to improve your brain function:
- 1. Acai - It has been known to enhance brain health and cognitive abilities, as well as reduce the risk of disease. It is packed with antioxidants, ORAC, Omega-3, vitamins, and protein.
- 2. Chocolate – Pure, dark chocolates from real cocoa beans can improve your memory because it is rich in flavanol epicatechin and antioxidants. When choosing chocolate, darker is better. Try to avoid those with milk and sugar additives.
- 3. Avocado – This fruit contains more calories than other fruits; however, it is a definite source of mono-unsaturated fats – also known as “good fats” – that provide healthy food for the brain.
4. Oysters – Although not all of shellfish are considered good brain food, oyster are associated with good memory. Oysters are full of selenium, magnesium, protein, and other nutrients that are good for your overall brain health.
5. Walnuts – They contain plenty of DHA, which is a type of Omega-3 fatty acid. DHA is particularly helpful in improving mental capabilities and helps people prevent age-related memory deterioration. In addition, some studies have shown that when pregnant mothers get enough DHA in her diets, they tend to have smarter babies.
6. Kale – It is well-known as one of the most nutrient-dense foods and top foods for brain health that is available. It is loaded with vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, and antioxidants. It decreases inflammation of the body as well.
Include these healthy foods in your daily meal plan to help your brain remain strong and enhance your mental performance.
-M. Germaine Parra
D.C. Area Realtor, Feng Shui Consultant
Licensed in DC, MD and VA
Long and Foster Realtors
6862 Elm Street Office, McLean, VA 22101