How to Be a Better Person
We often run into relationships that may only last temporarily in our lives. We tend to hurt other people with our own self-esteem and pride. Sometimes we regret our actions, but find it a bit late to remedy them due to the pain we have caused to the people we love.
Self-improvement is a constant exercise in our life. Because we are human, we are prone to mistakes and bad behaviors that may cause pain to others or ourselves. The silver lining is that as we commit mistakes, these errors can actually help us improve ourselves and become better people.
To help you start the journey to becoming a better person, here are a few tips you can follow:
- Learn to accept your flaws. Every person has something undesirable inside. But, for many people, learning to accept these failures is a challenge. Learning to acknowledge and accept our imperfections will enable us to find ways to alter these attitudes and become better.
- Do something good for others. Even in a small way, when you do something good for others, such as helping an elderly person cross the street, you eventually feel good inside. The journey of change starts with feeling good inside for doing something good. If you continually do good things for others, you start to become a better person.
- Find a role model. Search for a person that you think is a better person than you in some way and start making them your role model. If you have somebody to look up to, you will soon find that you begin emulating them and doing the same good things that they do.
- Search for your ideal self. Assess yourself and write down what you like and what you don’t like. Then, find that ideal person that you want to become. Look at your list again to review the qualities that you want to enhance in yourself and the traits you want to remove.
- Be a friend. Try to be a friend even to someone you barely know. Help someone out when they need a friend or lend your shoulder to cry on when someone is upset. If you learn how to be a friend to others, you will soon start to feel better and give more value to those around you.
- Know your priorities. Is your family your number one priority? How about your career? Your friends? Knowing your priorities helps you establish your goals in life, which can help you identify the right attitude needed to achieve those goals.
Becoming a better person can do wonders in your life. Not only will you feel good and be able to accomplish more, but people around you will appreciate the changes in you and will come to love you more.
-M. Germaine Parra
D.C. Area Realtor, Feng Shui Consultant
Licensed in DC, MD and VA
Long and Foster Realtors
6862 Elm Street Office, McLean, VA 22101