Keep Kitchen Safety A Priority During Kitchen Renovation
Our kitchen is the most used area of the house hence it is important to always consider safety when it comes to this room. Often, we disregard safety over interior design thus unwanted circumstances occurred inside the kitchen.
When planning to renovate your kitchen, it is best to also keep in the mind safety inside the room. Here are some tips on how to implement safety during kitchen renovations.
- Create a harmless floorplan. As much as possible, keep your cooking area away from the walkway. This means that if the left side of the kitchen is where your family always walks through, place the cooking area on the right side. Also, put the gas range as far away from the entrance as possible.
- Do not place electric appliances near the sink. This is to eliminate the possibility of electric shock. Never place your toaster or even your electric plugs near the sink or in the area where it is always wet.
- Do away with sharp corner in the countertops. If you plan to change your countertops or kitchen cabinets, consider round corners so there will be no possible injuries occurring to your children or even to you.
- For added child safety, place childproof locks in cabinets containing ingredients or utensils that may cause your children harm including kitchen appliances like the oven.
- Install the right lighting. With a good lighting inside the kitchen, any work can be accomplished properly and fast and well as done safely.
- Have a slip-resistant floor. You can choose from matte-finished wood or a textured vinyl. This will eliminate unnecessary slips and falls inside the kitchen.
- Have a safe storage for your fire extinguisher. Having a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen is a must especially for cases of fire. But, make sure these are tucked away safely and out of your children’s reach. Also, do not place your fire extinguisher near or under the range.
- Have a slide out tray or bin in your cabinet. This will make it easier to reach on different items. Have these kinds of cabinet features on the base.
-M. Germaine Parra
D.C. Area Realtor, Feng Shui Consultant
Licensed in DC, MD and VA
Long and Foster Realtors
6862 Elm Street Office, McLean, VA 22101