Ways to Build Your Confidence
Having self-confidence doesn’t mean that you are capable of doing everything. Rather, it is a developed attitude that allows an individual to trust their own abilities and have positive, yet realistic views and expectations. Even if their expectations are not met, they still continue to be optimistic. On the other hand, people who are not confident tend to be extremely dependant on the approval of others and avoid taking risks because they are afraid to fail.
Gaining confidence is not always easy, but it is most certainly possible. Here are a few simple techniques you can follow to build self-confidence:
- Accept yourself. This is the first step toward gaining confidence. Trust yourself and believe in yours skills and capabilities. Recognize your insecurities or whatever is making you feel unworthy, ashamed, or inferior. Write them down and then tear up the paper into little pieces to start getting rid of the negative and feeling positive.
- Dress smartly. The way you dress affects the way you feel about yourself. When you look good, it changes the way you carry yourself and communicate with other people. Use this as an advantage by taking care of your personal appearance.
- Set manageable and realistic goals. Focus on achieving them by setting targets to work toward. Achieving success is a great way to boost your confidence and make you feel good about yourself.
- Be grateful. Set aside time each day to list everything you have to be thankful for. Reflect on your previous successes and positive skills because that will motivate you to take the next step toward success.
- Learn fro your mistakes. Bear in mind that no one is perfect and even the most confident people have their own insecurities. Do not allow your shortcomings and failures to hinder you from aiming high. Bounce back from your mistakes, learn the lessons they provide, and learn to trust yourself.
- Build a support group. Surround yourself with people who love you and want to see you succeed. Talking to someone when you are feeling down can make you feel better.
- Maintain a healthy state of being. Get the proper nutrients and participate in physical activities. Eat properly and exercise regularly so that you will fell vibrant and energetic.
-M. Germaine Parra
D.C. Area Realtor, Feng Shui Consultant
Licensed in DC, MD and VA
Long and Foster Realtors
6862 Elm Street Office, McLean, VA 22101